Why do we collect personal data?
The personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- To improve our website by monitoring how you use it
- To respond to any enquiries or feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- To send out email alerts and bulletins to those who have subscribed to them
- To record and/or publish your response to a survey or consultation
- You wish to attend, or have attended, an event
- You have applied for a job or secondment with us
- An employee of ours gives your contact details as an emergency contact or a referee
The personal data you send us will be viewed only by CCPS staff unless covered by subsequent sections of this Policy.
What data do we collect?
1. Visitors to our websites
We use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques.
www.ccpscotland.org uses third-party cookies to measure use of the website including the number of visitors, how frequently pages are viewed, and the city and country of origin of users. This helps to determine what information is most popular and can influence future website content and development. The information collected will include IP Address, pages visited, browser type and operating system. The data gathered will not be used to identify any visitor to our website.
You can control your acceptance of cookies and/or disable them entirely in your web browser settings — and there is also a cookie warning when you first enter this site.
2. Email bulletins and alerts
We collect your email address, name and subscription preferences when you sign up to receive email bulletins, alerts and news. We also track how our emails are used – for example whether you open them and which links you click on.
If you’ve signed up for email alerts, you can unsubscribe or change your settings at any time by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ link that appears in every email.
Once you have unsubscribed, your details will be deleted immediately from the system.
3. Enquiries and Feedback
If you contact us asking a question or giving feedback, we collect your email address and any other personal data contained in your message. If you contact us asking for information, we may need to contact other bodies to find that information but in these circumstances we will not identify you unless you have given us express permission to do so.
4. Surveys and Consultations
We collect names and email addresses from responses we receive through Mailchimp surveys that we may circulate from time to time.
Email addresses may be used to send acknowledgements of receipt of response. They may also be used to contact you in the future in relation to the survey or consultation only if you give consent to be contacted.
When you sign up for an event (either via an Eventbrite listing we have created or by directly emailing us) we will use your details for the following purposes:
- Processing your registration and preparing for your arrival
- Safely administering your attendance (producing a name badge, adding your name to registration lists etc.)
- Sending you updates on the event for which you have registered
- In some cases, we may also make your name and organisation available on delegate lists circulated to attendees on the day. This would allow for further networking to take place post event. This will not include any contact details unless we have sought your express permission for this in advance.
- In some cases, we may use your contact information to inform you of future relevant events that you may wish to attend. We would only do this if you had indicated your acceptance of this when signing up to the event.
6. and 7. Human Resources
When you apply for a job or secondment with CCPS, we will not hold your data for longer than is necessary and we will destroy any data after the time period indicated in our Retention of Records Policy.
We will retain the personal details of successful applicants for the period of their employment or secondment with CCPS and beyond this, destroy any data in line with our Retention of Records Policy. This includes any third party information such as referees or emergency contacts.
Storage of information
Data will be stored securely within CCPS’ IT system. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. We will not retain any personal information longer than is necessary and will regularly review information we hold against our Retention of Records Policy.
You have a right of access to any personal data we hold about you, by making a Subject Access Request (SAR).
In addition, if you believe that the data we hold is inaccurate or incomplete you can ask us to update our records. If you are unhappy with the way in which we process your personal data you can request that we stop or restrict the processing we complete using your personal data or ask us to delete the personal data we hold about you.
Find out more about your rights on the Information Commissioner’s site.
In some circumstances we may not be able to comply with your request. This is because some of these rights are conditional and can only be applied in certain circumstances and/or where there is no compelling reason to continue to process your personal data.
57 Albion Road
Tel: 0131 475 2676
If you are dissatisfied by the way in which we process your data, you are entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time via:
The Information Commissioner
Tel: 08456 30 60 60